Translate

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Joseph Smith Knew What He Was Talking About

Joseph's Last Recorded Dream 

"I was back in Kirtland, Ohio, and thought I would take a walk out by myself, and view my old farm, which I found grown up with weeds and brambles, and altogether bearing evidence of neglect and want of culture. I went into the barn, which I found without floor or doors, with the weather-boarding off, and was altogether in keeping with the farm.

"While I viewed the desolation around me, and was contemplating how it might be recovered from the curse upon it, there came rushing into the barn a company of furious men, who commenced to pick a quarrel with me.
"The leader of the party ordered me to leave the barn and farm, stating it was none of mine, and that I must give up all hope of ever possessing it.
"I told him the farm was given me by the Church, and although I had not had any use of it for some time back, still I had not sold it, and according to righteous principles it belonged to me or the Church.

"He then grew furious and began to rail upon me, and threaten me, and said it never did belong to me nor to the Church.

"I then told him that I did not think it worth contending about, that I had no desire to live upon it in its present state, and if he thought he had a better right I would not quarrel with him about it but leave; but my assurance that I would not trouble him at present did not seem to satisfy him, as he seemed determined to quarrel with me, and threatened me with the destruction of my body.




"While he was thus engaged, pouring out his bitter words upon me, a rabble rushed in and nearly filled the barn, drew out their knives, and began to quarrel among themselves for the premises, and for a moment forgot me, at which time I took the opportunity to walk out of the barn about up to my ankles in mud.

"When I was a little distance from the barn, I heard them screeching and screaming in a very distressed manner, as it appeared they had engaged in a general fight with their knives. While they were thus engaged, the dream or vision ended.
" (recorded June 27, 1844)


I post this recorded dream because I have become aware to the fact that those who inherited Joseph Smith's "authority" almost always seem to do so in opposition not only to those who also claim that authority, but also to Joseph, himself.  

A Shift In Paradigm 

As a result of this recognition I have encountered many who are willing to give up on what was restored through Joseph Smith.  I believe this is because they are confronted with carefully parsed and selected tidbits of what Joseph restored.  Most of these tidbits are used to support some dominion of one group or individual over a population of people.  
It seems to me that not only are these tidbits carefully parsed and selected but often times they seem to have no other explanations than wholesale fabrications.  This presents a huge stumbling block for any who seek to find what Joseph is claimed to have restored because nearly anywhere one seeks she is required to accept many things which are either halve truths or complete misrepresentations of the truth.

Joseph Smith Papers 


I applaud the efforts of those who are shoulder deep engaged in the work that is known as The Joseph Smith PapersAlthough it is not without its slant, seeking to uphold positions that I find untenable, this project is nevertheless of tremendous value in opening up, to the sincere seeker, the treasure trove of material that is what Joseph restored.

What Did Joseph Restore? 

I believe that to begin to get a grasp on what Joseph did that was so important it is necessary to understand the difference from what he declared and what other religious leaders declare.  
Joseph breached the wall of Heaven.  He said so plainly, and he declared that it happened on numerous occasions.  He joined his voice with James in proclaiming that if anyone lacked wisdom, let him ask of God.  Because God will give liberally instead of upbraiding.  He declared that the Heavens were open to any.  
You may believe that you have NO evidence to validate such a proclamation in your life.  I believe that the worn out maxim applies here perfectly: Whether you think you can or you think you can't; you're right.  
Let me make things clear by stating, that I personally have never seen an angel.  I've never even been able to hear a sentence formed by the voice of God in my mind, that I have been able to recognize as such.  Therefore I am a terrible witness.  I apologize to you for that.  I wish I was better.  I wish that I were one that was sent from the presence of God to be able to declare to you that I speak by knowledge.  Yet at this point in my life, I can not. 
Allow me also to declare that it is my belief that without this knowledge, it is impossible to enter into the highest of God's kingdoms prepared for us after this life.  Whether you call that the Celestial Kingdom, or Heaven or anything else, it is my belief.  Therefore I currently believe that as of yet, I lack the hope or assurance that I have anything secure in the afterlife. 
Having said that, let me now say that Joseph declares that he received these things.  He is a witness, proclaiming to have entered into the presence of God and returned if nothing else with the testimony that if he could do it, then you can as well.  That Jesus the Christ seeks to reclaim all who will meekly come to Him and learn of Him.  All who will put away whatever it is in this world that they hold fast to, and lay hold on His word, may receive the same witness.  
This is the single most consistent testimony of Joseph Smith.  

But What Of The "Other Stuff" Joseph did or taught?  

Now you may be of the opinion that Joseph was a liar, womanizer, cheat, conman, charismatic charlatan or whatever else there is.  But I want to ask you: how much of what you know about Joseph comes from a source that has or had ulterior motives?  Whether it's one who is/was trying to defend a practice that was their personal choice, and so attached Joseph's name to it..what evidence that would stand in a court of law to support this personal choice exists?  
Whether your hang up is Polygamy, Polyandry, Magical Practices, Masonic rituals, lack of scientific proof, or whatever it is: what evidence could you bring up that isn't based on hearsay or conjecture by one that had a vested interest in the outcome one way or the other?
I'm not saying that evidence doesn't exist.  However, in my research the evidence that exists often times is more nuanced and/or tenuous at best and in matters concerning our relationship with God, everything should be weighed very carefully in the balance.  I commend you to do that for yourself.  I recognize that there are many more arguments than the simplified ones that I have presented here.  I only ask that you treat the matter as carefully as you think your relationship with God should be.

Great Evidence In Defense Of Joseph's Testimony 

For me, I believe that the greatest evidence that supports Joseph's testimony lies in his exposition of the scriptures.  I acknowledge that this "evidence" requires you to believe the scriptures.  So you will need to decide first whether that is something that you can do.  If you can or already do then I intend to give some illustrations of what I find compelling.  If not, then I invite you to read the scriptures and ask God to help you believe them.  He is the one who can do all things, not me.
Now for a case in point: we have no evidence to show in the Old Testament that God or the Israelites anticipated in a clear and evidentiary manner that there would be a Messiah, Jesus the Christ.   Currently this is one of the arguments against the Book of Mormon because within it is presented a narrative that requires the reader to believe that at least some Israelites already knew, believed in and anticipated the life of our Savior as it is presented in the accounts found in the New Testament.  Nothing like that is found to be the case in the Old Testament.  
So either the Book of Mormon is right or the presentation of the Old Testament is, but both can not be right in this one aspect.  (It is beyond my desire to present the evidence that both could be wrong, but that is something that you should decide your personal feelings about.  As I said above, this presentation will require you to believe the scriptures.)  Perhaps this is at least one of the reasons why the Book of Mormon warns us about the Bible that we as Gentiles have inherited. (See 1st Nephi 13:24-29)  

However, despite the contrast found between the Old Testament and the Book of Mormon in at least this one aspect; Joseph Smith demonstrated that there is no such discrepancy on this detail between the New Testament and the Book of Mormon.  
To show the point I will point out the scriptures that Joseph used as proof text.  (See Pg 60 of Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith)

First let's go to the Galatians 3:8 where it states, "And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed."
Here Paul declares that Abraham had the Gospel preached to him.  Paul understood what the Gospel was.  He knew that the Gospel is, "The Good News."  The Good News is that Jesus Christ would come to this earth and die for all men, so that we through His death could be redeemed.  Paul would not use the term Gospel (Good News) for anything other than Jesus Christ's death and resurrection, because anything that doesn't contain that, isn't Good News, but is as dead as the law!  This Paul had already declared and should be easy to see.  However, in case you want more evidence we shall next turn to the Gospel of St. John 8:56, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad."  Abraham, in vision was shown the life of Christ; a prophet indeed!  He had seen the mortal ministry of our Savior and was glad.  Why else would he be glad unless he had seen that the Lamb would be slain for all mankind to be redeemed? 
Now perhaps you now accept that Abraham had seen these things; but reject that many if any others had seen or known of them?  
Once again Joseph Smith swoops in with abundant exposition to defend the position demonstrated in the Book of Mormon by going to the Book of Hebrews 3:15-4:2, "While it is said, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.  For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.  But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?  And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?  So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.  Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.  For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it."  
Once again that word "Gospel" is used.  And here Paul, directly associates what he and his associates had received with what the Children of Israel in the time of Moses had received!  

Argue it, attack it or leave it, but once again the instructor of Joseph Smith stands forth untarnished in the ability to declare simply and profoundly the truth of a matter so heatedly disputed.  
If you believe that Joseph was able to construct these matters on his own as a preacher does, then I leave you to it.  I don't deny you what is rightfully yours to pursue.  
But I ask you to consider that this is only one of literally thousands of truths restored through Joseph Smith that he left for you so as to embolden you to have faith.  Not faith in Joseph Smith, not faith in an institution or some other fallible man but faith in the being that Joseph had faith in: Jesus the Christ!  If you don't believe that's what Joseph was trying to do, I challenge you to read The Lectures on Faith.  If you don't believe that Joseph authored or at least heavily edited those Lectures, then I invite you first to read the original introduction to those lectures and then also catch up on the evidence brought forth in the Joseph Smith Papers.  They illustrate that Joseph spent MANY HOURS, editing those Lectures for publication.  He left the revelations to the publication committee for editing, but took on the Lectures personally in the realization that, "We do not present this little volume with any other expectation than that we are to be called to answer to every principle advanced, in that day when the secrets of all hearts will be revealed, and the reward of every man's labor be given him."
If like many others, -including the committee that removed the Lectures from the scriptures in 1921- you are offended by some doctrine advanced in those Lectures, I invite you to consider how those doctrines comport with what Joseph actually taught and not with what you have been told Joseph taught.  

My Piss-Poor Witness  

I believe the Book of Mormon is the most correct book in accomplishing the task of getting you closer to God than any other book.  I believe Joseph Smith was a preacher sent by God to help you have faith in God and not in an institution or men.  
I believe if you will use him to do just that, then you will get nearer to God; even to the fulfilling of the New Covenant expressed in Jeremiah 31:31-34.  I believe that the prophesy of Joel recited to Joseph by the angel who visited him on September 21, 1820 will come to pass in your life.  I believe that when they who are coming, come; you will not be burned without root nor branch.
This is my witness, to you. 

2 comments:

John said...

Nice post. A study of the doctrines that Joseph taught, including the Lectures on Faith, is very rewarding. The doctrines that Joseph taught "taste good" (as Joseph put it in the King Follett Discourse) and are recognizable as truth. Sometimes they weren't as "sanitzed" as they tend to be taught in Sunday Schools today. I sometimes wonder what Joseph would think of the present day church in comparison with the one of his day.

Edwin Wilde said...

@John
I believe we often times see the church of our day as the same as the church of Josephs day.
In my research I have not found that Joseph even attended a "church" of any type regularly. He definitely referred to "The Church" but usually in the context that he uses that term it is referring to the overall group of people who claimed to believe in the Book of Mormon. Instead of some organizational hierarchy that we often times use that term to mean today.
Therefore it makes it almost impossible to even compare the two.